HOMEBUILT MOCO On SET system TESTS
Dragonframe Focus control system testing.
I have been shooting a commercial for the past ten days or so. This required some motion control moves and focus pulls. So I used this as the perfect chance to really test out the MoCo controller and focus controls that I have built, in a real world situation.
These have been designed for making stop motion animation using Dragonframe software as the interface. I was really interested in seeing what lenses the focus controllers could drive.
I wanted to check for any over-heating of odd behaviour first. They did indeed run hot to the touch but I have to say they didn’t put a foot wrong for the whole ten days of shooting. I now working on a second control box, so at least then I have a back up. Im also going to re-design the vents and lid a little to facilitate better ventilation.
During the shoot I tested them with various lenses including some cine primes from both Sigma and Samyang, plus a number of the old favourites from the Nikon AI range. The focus controls have more than enough torque to easily drive these lenses. It has been great to really use the system on a big complex job. I have learned a great deal and will be redesigning a mark 2 very soon!